Friday 25 March 2011

'Eggplant Kibbeh'

It's been far too long since I updated - sorry! Went through a spell of not cooking so much or else eating things I've already posted or eating new things but forgetting to post! Anyway, I'm back.

I recently purchased the amazing Appetite for Reduction and this is the first thing I made out of it. It turned out really tasty but it's very much a side dish whereas I'd expected to eat it on its own and not have anything else with it. Would easily feed four with some nice spicy veg. The recipe below is exactly as per Isa's book - obv eggplant is aubergine. I had no mint (snow killed it!) so used parsley.


1 cup bulgar (200g)
1 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1lb eggplant, 1/2 inch dice (450g)
salt and pepper
3 plum tomatoes, chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped

Cover the bulgur with boiling water, cover and let steam for 40 mins. Drain off any water.
Saute the onion in oil for 5 mins then add garlic. Then add eggplant and season. Cook for 15 mins - should break down and release liquid and go all mushy. Add tomatoes and cumin and cook for another 10 mins. Add bulgur and mint.
Spray an 8inch baking pan with cooking spray and press the mix into it. Bake for 25 mins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment