Tuesday 18 January 2011

'Granny soup'

Not feeling terribly well and this calls for a big bowl of 'Granny soup'. I call it this because, surprise surprise, it reminds me of the soup that my nanny made every week when I was a kid. She was lucky enough to have all the veg fresh from her own garden, courtesy of my papa! Hers I'm sure was made with a non-veggie stock, at least it was til I turned veggie at age 12 and made her change it when she was making it for me!

I make it with three carrots, three leeks and three sticks of celery, all diced. Cook in a litre of veg stock with 100g barley for about 40-45 mins. You can add more water if you like it thinner. You can also add a couple of diced spuds if you like. I usually put in plenty of chopped parsley near the end of cooking but I didn't have any today.

No comments:

Post a Comment