Tuesday 25 January 2011

Lentil and sweet potato stew (I call it curry)

This recipe is adapted from The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone - a great book with some lovely recipes. Her website is also great - www.thekindlife.com

1 onion, chopped
1 tsp oil
1 tbsp grated ginger
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
1.5 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne
200g green or brown lentils
300g sweet potato, peeled and diced
About 500ml stock

Fry the onion in the oil then add the ginger and toms. Add the spices and stir to form a paste coating the onion and toms. Add more or less cayenne at this stage, depending on how hot you like it, or you could add a chopped chilli with the ginger. Then add the sweet potato, lentils and stock and simmer for about 30 mins, until the lentils are cooked and the potato is breaking up. I like this with rice or crusty bread but it's just as good on its own.

As you can see from the picture, I was already getting stuck in when I remembered to take a photo!

3 comments:

  1. Saw your blog address on the WW website. Your recipes look great. Will definitely be following your blog, only thing is, because my husband manages his blog from the same pc as me, when I want to follow someone it puts his picture and name up, not mine. So for all intents and purposes, the bloke with the moustache is me (I haven't got a moustache... neither has he any more) :O)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hold that thought... have managed to change it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barbara, no problem- glad you got it sorted out and that you like the site. Had PC problems last week so haven't posted in a while. Plan to do lots of ccoking this week to get some new photos :-)

    ReplyDelete